Current Weather - 01:40 AM ~ Clear skies ~ Temp 25.8º ~ Humidity 70% ~ Winds S 0mph ~ Max Gust 2mph
Todays Extremes - High 25.8º ~ Low 24.2º ~ Rain Today 0.00" ~ Season 7.51 ~ Snow Today 0.00" ~ Season 12"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)

(Click alert for more info)
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Online
Guests: 48, Members: 2 ...
RetiredRedHat
bills grandson

most ever online: 573
(Members: 41, Guests: 532) on Jul 05 : 10:19am

Members: 3335
Newest member: DianeB
BIG BEAR LIVE SCANNER
Current Listeners:
Listen Now  Twitter
Upcoming Events (next 90 days)
Sat 20 Dec 14 [today]
  Santa "Claws" at the Zoo
Support this Site!
Socalmountains is primarily supported by user donations. Donate now to help keep this site going. Click here to donate by Credit Card or PayPal. Any amount is greatly appreciated!
Member's Birthdays:
Happy Birthday to:

Birthday Cake
Jen&Shady
lupin

Upcoming Birthdays:
Dec 21 Sunni & Big Guy
Dec 23 onur6boss
Dec 25 angel
Dec 25 Chrissy
Dec 26 Eric_rs
Dec 26 gratitude dude

You must be logged in to make comments on this site - please log in, or if you are not registered click here to signup
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

bills grandson
Dec 20 : 01:37am
I would have liked to race a semi stock beetle glass. But my opinion on Mexico is I never lost anything there so I wouldn't go there.
Now it is way to dangerous down there. Locals setting up traps to crash racers. My friend was pitting a few years ago when the drug dealers chopper crashed. That got wild for the next few days

RetiredRedHat
Dec 20 : 01:34am
At a Vegas to Reno race, I was able to see one of those six wheel drive Russian trucks close up. Amazing. I think they were designed to support the oil fields in Siberia.

RetiredRedHat
Dec 20 : 01:31am
One time when I still had my Mazda B2600i, I had to pull our race truck up every uphill going down from Mike's Sky Ranch to Valle de Trinidad, where we had a pit. After a couple of hours of this, the axle tube finally broke. I drove the 30 miles down to Valle de Trinidad, we pulled the rear end out of one of our Bronco chase vehicles. Loaded it in the back of the Mazda and went the 30 miles back up the course to the race truck. Swapped out the rear end in the race truck, and was then able to get the truck back to our pit. Then had to put the race truck in the semi trailer, pull the rear end out of it and put it back under the chase bronco to get back to Estero Beach where we were staying. Didn't get until noon on Sunday. My wife, Kim, was as one would say, a happy camper, Such is racing in Baja.

bills grandson
Dec 20 : 01:18am
I have another friend who was navigator for the last few years but they have both pretty much given up on it. But they had a lot of fun. A few get killed every year down there. Mostly chase guys. I think Dakar would be fun But I am definetly to old for that. I like watching the Russian trucks in that

RetiredRedHat
Dec 20 : 01:14am
Yea, racing is very expensive. Hell, it was very expensive for me just chasing. Loved every minute of it, though.

bills grandson
Dec 20 : 01:11am
I just put a limited slip rear end in my Toyota pick up. Never had one before, and probably won't need this one but it didn't cost much more. I wanted to race Baja back in the day but never had money or time. A few friends went into it big time and I think it took all the fun out of it. If you had the bucks that's one thing. But gettibg enough guys together, spare parts, food beer, etc. No thanks I'll just go out and put around. It will be enough fun humiliating 4 WD's I come across

RetiredRedHat
Dec 20 : 01:11am
I forgot to mention that was in low range in the transfer case.

RetiredRedHat
Dec 20 : 01:05am
I used to air down my tubeless tires on the Bronco to 10 psi if I needed to in the soft sand washes down there. Never had a problem. I had a locker rear end, so that obviously helps. I once towed a full size three quarter ton 4wd pickup with a bad tranny, 8 miles down Matomi Wash in Baja, 2nd gear 4000 rpm in 4wd. That will get your attention. Made it to the hardball and someone else was able to help him from there.

bills grandson
Dec 20 : 12:56am
It's hard to find tubes anymore. I doubt if many guys know how to put them in

bills grandson
Dec 20 : 12:55am
The reason I had the flat is the sidewall had broken down but a tube stops that. Seems that using soap is the wrong thing to use for a tire lube. Soap has things in it that will rust a steel rim. A new rim would cost at least $150 then new tires.

bills grandson
Dec 20 : 12:52am
had to order another part for the water heater. so now I'll have invested $25.00 plus what it cost to flush it out.
Tomorrow I'll finish up with all the wiring but a couple pieces.
I ordered a brake lock and a cutting brake so that is whats next. Should have it running in a couple days. But still a few more project
Yeah you need tubes for the times when you need to lower the pressure. Should not be an issue between the things this has and the winch.. Getting stuck should not be a problem.
So how is your project coming?

RetiredRedHat
Dec 20 : 12:50am
I think tubeless is the way to go. You can get a set of plugs and glue, the insert tool and you are good to go. I once put five plugs in a tear in one of my tires down in Baja, finished chasing the race and made it home no problems.

bills grandson
Dec 20 : 12:47am
A couple years ago I had gotten where I had to sit down to wash dishes.
Now I'm convinced it can be mind over matter. You have to get old but you don't have to grow up or let it get to you.

bills grandson
Dec 20 : 12:46am
So now I pulled a tire off cleaned up the inside of the rim and put it back together with a tube. Dumb to try and run tubeless on a dune buggy. Then I started to break down the other wheel and found it had a tube. So I pulled it out and put in the new one.

bills grandson
Dec 20 : 12:44am
I needed a flat fixed and stopped by the local gas station. I had been doing my bikes wheels forever. Lloyd who owned the station was busy so he pointed at their tire changer and talked me through it. I was hooked.

(C)2002-2014 Socalmountains.com