Current Weather - 7:10 PM ~ Clear skies ~ Temp 48.3º ~ Humidity 30% ~ Winds NE 0mph ~ Max Gust 12mph
Todays Extremes - High 66.9º ~ Low 28.2º ~ Rain 0.00" ~ Snow 0.00" ~ Season Total 0" ~ Barometer 30.221
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)

(Click alert for more info)
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Guests: 76, Members: 3 ...
cricket
bills grandson
BigBearSteve

most ever online: 573
(Members: 41, Guests: 532) on Jul 05 : 10:19am

Members: 3293
Newest member: vpavlides
BIG BEAR LIVE SCANNER
Current Listeners:
Listen Now  Twitter
Upcoming Events (next 90 days)
There are no events scheduled in the next 90 days
Support this Site!
Socalmountains is primarily supported by user donations. Donate now to help keep this site going. Click here to donate by Credit Card or PayPal. Any amount is greatly appreciated!
Member's Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Upcoming Birthdays:
Oct 23 Abner
Oct 26 mommaj
Oct 27 dale333esr
Oct 27 jellybelly
Oct 28 SDGrandma
Oct 30 w6rjb
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: ROAD CONDITIONS
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Forest Service Road Conditions 2011

Go to page       >>  
Author Post
©ammy
Tue Apr 26 2011, 09:58PM Email Thread Print View

:
Yesterday as R and I were taking Sirius for his first offroad adventure, I had the idea to start a thread on here to post current conditions of the various Forest Service dirt roads around the Big Bear area. Feel free to share any info y'all find as you drive/bike/hike along these roads including road condition, recently re-opened gates, closed gates, snow on the road, washed out sections of road, and anything else interesting and helpful.

We discovered yesterday that the gates on 3N08 - map: [Click Here] have re-opened for, as far as I know, the first time since the Butler 2 Fire! We checked the gates on both ends of 3N08 (basically located at A & B on the previous map) to confirm that they're both open and they are. But we did not drive the whole length of 3N08, we turned north on 3N89 (Greenlead Road) - map of the route we took: [Click Here] and found that the fence that was across 3N89 at 3N16 is now open as well! (The fence is at B on the previous map.) There is water flowing across 3N08 at Greenlead Creek, and there are a couple more small streams to cross but these pose no challenge as they're not too deep. We did use 4WD a couple of times in our Toyota Tundra as there are a couple of tricky sections that I didn't want to try in 2WD. You'll definitely want a high clearance vehicle for this route (3N08 to 3N89).
Here's a complete map of our trip: [Click Here] We drove along 3N14 to 3N08. 3N14 is a good road that can be driven in 2WD with no problem. After we took 3N08 to 3N89 we ended up on 3N16. This is another good road and we had no trouble navigating it in 2WD. When we got to 3N12, we took it up around the north side of Delamar Mountain back to 3N14. There is one patch of snow on 3N12, but we had no trouble crossing it in 2WD as there are ruts in the snow from other vehicles going through before us. I also took our Jeep Wrangler through there today in 2WD with no trouble. The snow will probably have melted off the road within a week.
Debbie Doodah
Tue Apr 26 2011, 10:29PM

:
I clicked on your first map and it gave me a subdivision off the 60 in Riverside. .

We went exploring a bit on Sunday but I am not sure of the road numbers. But we did pass Camp Whittle. That road was fine with a couple of spots with some mud - just enough to make my wheel wells caked with mud.
Mtn.goat John
Tue Apr 26 2011, 10:40PM

If you didn't leave any blood, it wasn't a ride!
Registered Member #1655
:
Deb, you were on 3N14. Don't need to know the road #'s unless there is a problem. Heck BGS never got lost as far as I know.

nothing in life is free, it ain't about easy it's about tough

"We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible" Vince Lombardi

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK;
Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."
Debbie Doodah
Tue Apr 26 2011, 10:46PM

:
Mtn.goat John wrote ...

Deb, you were on 3N14. Don't need to know the road #'s unless there is a problem. Heck BGS never got lost as far as I know.

I don't think there was much chance of getting lost. All the forest roads are on the cars gps which I thought was really cool. Plus we didn't go very far. We aren't as big adventurers as you guys. Yet!
bills grandson
Wed Apr 27 2011, 05:33AM

Registered Member #659
:
nope never lost in the woods. Sometimes the place I was looking for might get lost.
I think the hardest thing was learning my way around upper moon ridge.
Cities forget about it. It is almost impossible to get around down here. No straight lines to take you anywhere. I just got a GPS which helps but I am already looking to upgrade. A couple of weeks of rebuilding my dash to get everything right. And now I want to rip it out and start over. New radio with all the bells and whistles you can think of. 300. at walmart. Every other one I have seen like it is 800.
I was thinking the other day that it doesn't seem like that long ago that cars had no seat belts, turn signals, or radio's. Heaters were a luxery, and almost no air conditioning. First cars I bought really didn't have a two foot square place needed for one.
Had to wait for a minute for the tubes to heat up.
Do you even have to learn hand signals anymore to drive a car? And would anyone know what you were doing? Probably get shot for throwing "gang signs".

I think Cammy has a great idea. I have always wanted to get people out to enjoy the beauty most don't even know is all around them. To bad there are so few animals to share it with anymore.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

"I solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same"

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE, ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!
©ammy
Wed Apr 27 2011, 10:28AM

:
Debbie Doodah wrote ...

I clicked on your first map and it gave me a subdivision off the 60 in Riverside. .

Anyone else have this problem?
Lumbe® Jill
Wed Apr 27 2011, 10:42AM

R

:
©ammy wrote ...

Debbie Doodah wrote ...

Anyone else have this problem?

Nope...looks like Holcomb Valley to me!

What doesn't kill me does NOT make me stronger. It makes me anxious, bitchy, and vulnerable...but nobody wants to see that embroidered on a pillow...Lisa Kogan...thx LXL...sorry i stole it from you! Ok, maybe I'm not sorry :-P

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow...Larry the Cable Guy
bills grandson
Wed Apr 27 2011, 10:44AM

Registered Member #659
:
Cammy I had no problem.
Make sure you write what condition the roads are in and what kind of vehicle you might need. So a street car can be taken on while others need 4WD. And some are not even begginer 4WD As well as any high lights or things to see along the way. I will try to add what things I know or have learned about each stretch also.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

"I solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same"

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE, ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!
©ammy
Wed Apr 27 2011, 10:54AM

:
Yesterday's adventures included leaving Fawnskin on 3N14 to 3N12 to 3N16 to 3N32 up 3N10 to the east a little bit, turned around, back down 3N32 to 3N16 to 2N09 to Hwy 38. Here's an incomplete map, as 3N32 doesn't show up on Google Maps: [Click Here] 3N32 goes to the north from 3N16 at B on this map: [Click Here] but 3N32 is not Burnt Flat Road. That road doesn't actually exist as it's been fenced off some time ago.
Anyway, to the road conditions: we covered the portions of 3N14 & 3N12 in the first post. 3N16 between 3N12 & 3N32 - map: [Click Here] is in good shape - it was resurfaced with that gravel/sand mix a year or so ago, so passenger cars would have no trouble navigating this section. 3N32 is a road that a high clearance vehicle would be good to use as there are a lot of deep ruts in this road. I didn't need to use 4WD on this road at all, but the high clearance was helpful. There was a mud puddle about 1/4 mile in on the road that could be bypassed but that's no fun! There is also a small stream crossing on this road, but the water is shallow and no problem to cross. The north end of 3N32 is where it intersects 3N10. I went east on 3N10 for maybe a half mile before I decided it would be better to not get the Jeep stuck on the rocks so I turned around. I did use 4WD a couple of times on 3N10. After I turned around, I went back on 3N32 to 3N16 to 2N09. I took 2N09 back to Highway 38 - map: [Click Here]. This is another road that was resurfaced a year or so ago, and while it is a bumpy ride in some spots, I think it could be navigated with a passenger car as long as you go slow.

The gate on the north end of Van Dusen Canyon Road (3N09) is still closed - A on this map: [Click Here] so I assume the gate at the south end of this road is still closed as well - B on previous map. Also, the gate at 3N12 & 2N84 - A on this map: [Click Here] has been closed since the Butler 2 Fire and as of yesterday is still closed.

I'll check the gates on both ends of 2N93 today (Wildhorse Meadows Road) but I'd be really surprised if they're open as there's still a good amount of snow on the north side of Sugarloaf Mountain.
©ammy
Wed Apr 27 2011, 10:56AM

:
Here are some videos from yesterday. The first 2 videos are sped up about 5x. The last one is at real time speed.

3N12

3N16 from 3N12 to 3N32

3N32 Mud Puddle!

Go to page       >>  

Moderators: Craig (KJ6BCM), ©ammy, Lumbe® Jill, Debbie Doodah, Bookworm, ***SCM ALERT***, Benny (N6BWX), Socalmountains Admin

Jump:     Back to top