Current Weather @ 02:29 AM Clear skies Temp 31.5º Humidity 81% Winds WNW 3.0mph Max Gust 25.3mph
Todays Extremes High 33.5º Low 31.4º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 27"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)

(Click alert for more info)
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 02:00 AM v2.1
Big Bear to Highland (330): 41 mins  
Highland to Big Bear (330): 42 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 63 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 64 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 32 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 33 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 416, Members: 0 ...

most ever online: 1871
(Members: 29, Guests: 1842) on Nov 30 : 08:15am

Members: 5849
Newest member: Alexfinley
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:

Upcoming Birthdays:
Dec 16 Badgerdawg
Dec 16 propertymanager
Dec 18 Tiffinymariha
Dec 18 Tiffiny's
Dec 19 NoMoreCityMike
Dec 20 Jen&Shady
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: HAM RADIO / SCANNERS
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Perseids Meteor Shower

Go to page       >>  
Author Post
bc
Fri Aug 09 2013, 02:00PM Email Thread Print View

Registered Member #29
:
It's that time of year again.

Remember:

- The shower peak is the night of Aug. 11 through the morning of Aug. 12.

- Shower builds slowly and then falls off a cliff. So some will be seen on evenings and nights before the 11th. So, don't be surprised if you see some tonight!

- Generally, the shower's radiant point is the constellation Perseus. It appears first in the North East sky.

- HOWEVER, best viewing technique is, generally, lay on your back with feet facing North or North East. Then look straight up and let your peripheral vision pick stuff up.

- Goes without saying to be in a dark area, with views horizon to horizon.

- Good viewing usually starts about 9PM on the 11th and peaks about 2AM on the 12th.

- If you have something like a phone with GPS, a compass and something that knows up and down, try a program like Google Sky to know where Perseus is.

- For the Hams, meteor scatter (MS) doesn't care about light and dark, and does quite well until noon-ish on the 12th. The best bands for MS are 10m, 6m and 2m. Most folks go for 2m for the challenge. Others go higher, e.g. 220 and 432, but that's for the experts and not very productive. There's a coordination freq on 75m phone, but I don't recall the frequency. A lot of the serious Ops prearrange their schedules. Minimum equipment on 2m (barring some fancy comm modes) is 150W and 13dBi of antenna.

- For non-Hams with a scanner, you can listen for things like TV or FM stations in places at the right distances. Examples would be all the FM radio stations and TV channels 6 and below. Can easily hear places like Great Falls, MT, Vancouver and even AK. Takes a monster meteor to get a long transmission, but remember, we're talking powerful broadcast stations and the meteors that do this are hundreds of miles from you. Pester Craig. Maybe he can do something with his scanner stream.

- The little streaky meteors are objects the size of a grain of sand. That means they're moving really really fast when they hit the atmosphere. To the hams listening, the most you get out of these are a ping (assuming someone is transmitting where you're listening, etc.).

- The altitude where they burn up is roughly 50 miles (height above earth). That just happens to be about the same height as the E-layer of the ionosphere. Soooo, single hop communication on meteor scatter (MS) is, generally, on the order of 1000-ish miles. What's really cool about this kind of comm is that backscatter happens. When you hear one of those signals, it sounds echo'y. Kinda cool when you hear someone on the other side of the mountains or otherwise out of line of sight, but still closer than typical for MS.

- Also, because of the speed at which these things travel, Doppler effect is obvious on radio/TV signals, especially for the Morse code (CW) operators.

- Meteors that you see to the South are probably "randoms", and not associated with the Perseids.

Lastly, when it comes to meteor activity, we're subject to Mother Nature's whim. The East could have a great shower and the West totally suck. The last few years have been not great for our area, BUT, you NEVER know, so watch anyway.

I'm writing this in a hurry, and I'm sure I forgot something. So, if interested, keep an eye on it and I'll edit if I think of anything.

PS: Don't let the bears eat you.

"I was goin' faster than I'd ever gone before, when I fell off."
- 'Little' from "Little Faus and Big Halsey"
"Microsoft is very sorry."
- David Pogue, "The Missing Manual" series, Vista edition
"Don't bother me; I'm clinging to my guns and Religion."
- bc

World's Greatest Inventions (in increasing order of importance):
- Bubblewrap
- On/Off Switch
- Spitzer Boat Tail
melvin
Fri Aug 09 2013, 02:16PM

pole queen
Registered Member #46
:
where up here would be a good place to watch this?

i am multi lingual, i can speak English, sarcasm and smart arse!

there is always too much month left at the end of my money!
Mtngoat John⭐
Fri Aug 09 2013, 03:14PM

:
labor mel wrote ...

Probably outside.

nothing in life is free, it ain't about easy it's about tough

"We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible" Vince Lombardi

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK;
Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."
melvin
Fri Aug 09 2013, 04:32PM

pole queen
Registered Member #46
:
Mtn.goat John wrote ...

labor mel wrote ...

Probably outside.

dork

solargardens
Fri Aug 09 2013, 05:46PM
WB6CLZ
Registered Member #1903
:
Thanks,
you just reminded me to air out the sleeping bags and test the 2 meter amp!!

Mike Bode WB6CLZ
©ammy ⭐
Fri Aug 09 2013, 10:00PM

:
labor mel wrote ...

The old mine above the dump is the first place that comes to mind.
melvin
Fri Aug 09 2013, 10:22PM

pole queen
Registered Member #46
:
©ammy wrote ...

labor mel wrote ...

The old mine above the dump is the first place that comes to mind.

i was thinking over in that area also.. there is also a campsite not far in on the pct from dump road.. i was also thinking of coon creek cabin or one of the yellow post sites along the way there.. or onyx peak

bc
Fri Aug 09 2013, 10:52PM

Registered Member #29
:
Anything that overlooks the desert risks a lot of skyglow, even to the East.

Don't forget that most of the meteor trails will originate toward the North and East, so better to be on the North side of the Valley.

Also don't forget that far out in the desert could be excellent viewing.

If you choose a bowl-like area, try to keep the rim sight line below 20 degrees elevation.

"I was goin' faster than I'd ever gone before, when I fell off."
- 'Little' from "Little Faus and Big Halsey"
"Microsoft is very sorry."
- David Pogue, "The Missing Manual" series, Vista edition
"Don't bother me; I'm clinging to my guns and Religion."
- bc

World's Greatest Inventions (in increasing order of importance):
- Bubblewrap
- On/Off Switch
- Spitzer Boat Tail
melvin
Sat Aug 10 2013, 07:55AM

pole queen
Registered Member #46
:
that was another place i was thinking about.. take camp rock past old woman and rabbit springs towards the ohv ares but instead of take the turn off stop and look.. might get some light pollution from vv coming thru from the west but shouuld be pretty dark

BootsNBridles
Tue Aug 13 2013, 08:29PM

Registered Member #2093
:
I forgot all about the meteor shower. But I heard the horses making a fuss so got up in the wee hours of Monday morning- about 2AM. Looked out the window in time to see a LONG trail going from south to north!! THEN I remembered the shower!! Guess it was just lucky timing!
Go to page       >>  

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top