Current Weather @ 02:56 AM Clear skies Temp 31.0º Humidity 78% Winds WSW 7.0mph Max Gust 25.3mph
Todays Extremes High 33.5º Low 31.0º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 27"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)

(Click alert for more info)
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 02:00 AM v2.1
Big Bear to Highland (330): 41 mins  
Highland to Big Bear (330): 42 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 63 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 64 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 32 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 33 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 426, Members: 1 ...
Lostinbigbear

most ever online: 1871
(Members: 29, Guests: 1842) on Nov 30 : 08:15am

Members: 5850
Newest member: Alexfinley
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:

Upcoming Birthdays:
Dec 16 Badgerdawg
Dec 16 propertymanager
Dec 18 Tiffinymariha
Dec 18 Tiffiny's
Dec 19 NoMoreCityMike
Dec 20 Jen&Shady
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: C.E.R.T.
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

long storage energy bars

Go to page   <<      
Author Post
RubiCrawlerLJ
Wed Nov 13 2013, 09:35PM

Registered Member #1405
:
My Jeep is our "bug out" vehicle so it is stocked and ready to go. Our "daily driver" cars only have the bare minimum; energy bars, jerky, granola and water for 72 hours, IFAK, LED flashlight, headlamp and extra batteries, glow sticks, survival blankets, fire starter kit and fixed blade knife.
I need to pickup two new handheld radios since I made the mistake of vacuum sealing my Midland 75-822 CB Radios with batteries in them, a $250 mistake.

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.”
“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
― Abraham Lincoln

3rd MAW, MAG 11, VMFA 531, MCAS El Toro, CA (1982 - 1986)
Semper fi!

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Craig ⭐
Thu Nov 14 2013, 06:00PM

Total Eclipse 2017 Casper WY

:
That's pretty impressive for a "bare minimum" inventory!! I would love to see the list in the bug out vehicle, however, the server might crash if you post that big of a message

As for radios, a lot of folks have been investing in the Baofeng UV-5R Plus models. I love mine and am buying a couple more to replace my FRS radios. They transmit on pretty much any frequency (except CB) and also monitor a lot of the public service frequencies such as fire, forest service, etc. I use mine as a scanner, HAM radio, work radio, FRS radio and MURS radio. For less than $40 bucks, you cannot beat it! Link here: [Click Here]

It comes with a long lasting NIMH battery and drop in charger which works very well. If you will be using them for emergency purposes, then you should invest in the AA battery pack for that radio. Link here: [Click Here]

Can't say enough about the bang for the buck on these radios. Nothing comes close for the price.

RubiCrawlerLJ wrote ...

My Jeep is our "bug out" vehicle so it is stocked and ready to go. Our "daily driver" cars only have the bare minimum; energy bars, jerky, granola and water for 72 hours, IFAK, LED flashlight, headlamp and extra batteries, glow sticks, survival blankets, fire starter kit and fixed blade knife.
I need to pickup two new handheld radios since I made the mistake of vacuum sealing my Midland 75-822 CB Radios with batteries in them, a $250 mistake.

Winter can leave now... Lets try to get above 50 degrees???
RubiCrawlerLJ
Thu Nov 14 2013, 07:58PM

Registered Member #1405
:
Craig (KJ6BCM) wrote ...

As for radios, a lot of folks have been investing in the Baofeng UV-5R Plus models. I love mine and am buying a couple more to replace my FRS radios. They transmit on pretty much any frequency (except CB) and also monitor a lot of the public service frequencies such as fire, forest service, etc. I use mine as a scanner, HAM radio, work radio, FRS radio and MURS radio. For less than $40 bucks, you cannot beat it! Link here: [Click Here]

It comes with a long lasting NIMH battery and drop in charger which works very well. If you will be using them for emergency purposes, then you should invest in the AA battery pack for that radio. Link here: [Click Here]

Can't say enough about the bang for the buck on these radios. Nothing comes close for the price.

What can I am a Boy Scout (Webelo actually) at heart! Riding out tropical storms and hurricanes in South Florida and my love of off-roading and unimproved camping only reinforced it.

Thanks for the radio link, I paid twice that for a crappy handheld CB a few years ago. Do you need a Amateur Radio license (technician?) to operate the radio in an emergency?

“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
― Abraham Lincoln

Semper fi!

Craig ⭐
Sat Nov 16 2013, 11:30AM

Total Eclipse 2017 Casper WY

:
I think the general rule is that if you have a life threatening emergency then you can use any radio on any frequency in order to summon help. Your best bet would be to get your HAM license so you know the way of the land and also get to know a lot of great folks! Getting your license is inexpensive and the local Big Bear Amateur Radio Club (BBARC) is a GREAT bunch of peeps. There are several of them here on SCM. They schedule training and testing sessions often. Im sure someone here can provide details on the next sessions. With good radio equipment available for under $40.00 it really makes good sense to get your ticket.

RubiCrawlerLJ wrote ...

Craig (KJ6BCM) wrote ...

What can I am a Boy Scout (Webelo actually) at heart! Riding out tropical storms and hurricanes in South Florida and my love of off-roading and unimproved camping only reinforced it.

Thanks for the radio link, I paid twice that for a crappy handheld CB a few years ago. Do you need a Amateur Radio license (technician?) to operate the radio in an emergency?

Winter can leave now... Lets try to get above 50 degrees???
©ammy ⭐
Sat Nov 16 2013, 01:39PM

:
Also, the test is not very difficult at all. If I remember correctly, you can study the actual test questions and answers online - there's something like a pool of 300 questions and they use 36? of them on the actual test. You can take practice tests online as well. There were even a couple members on here that got a perfect score on their ham tests.
RubiCrawlerLJ
Sat Nov 16 2013, 05:59PM

Registered Member #1405
:
Some years ago I looked into getting my license but I got sidetracked with coaching my daughters' AYSO soccer teams. My daughters are aging out of AYSO so maybe I'll have some time to find a local group and study up for the test.

― Thomas Jefferson

― Abraham Lincoln

Semper fi!

JohnnyT (K7JNT)
Sun Nov 17 2013, 08:41AM

Joshua 24:15
Registered Member #88
:
Craig (KJ6BCM) wrote ...

I think the general rule is that if you have a life threatening emergency then you can use any radio on any frequency in order to summon help. Your best bet would be to get your HAM license so you know the way of the land and also get to know a lot of great folks! Getting your license is inexpensive and the local Big Bear Amateur Radio Club (BBARC) is a GREAT bunch of peeps. There are several of them here on SCM. They schedule training and testing sessions often. Im sure someone here can provide details on the next sessions. With good radio equipment available for under $40.00 it really makes good sense to get your ticket.

RubiCrawlerLJ wrote ...

Craig (KJ6BCM) wrote ...

I've been studying for the last 2 weeks, about 30 minutes a day, using the interactive hamtestonline.com and am totally ready for the next tech exam day. It's not that hard, just some basic memorization. As to unlicensed people transmitting on ham frequencies, it is allowed only if a person or property is in grave jeopardy AND no other regular form of communication is available. It was one of the questions in the exam question pool.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Eccl 10:2
NRA Endowment Member. Because an armed man is a citizen and a disarmed man is a subject.
May your path be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.
Website
RubiCrawlerLJ
Sun Nov 17 2013, 09:06AM

Registered Member #1405
:
Thanks for the link JohnnyT!

― Thomas Jefferson

― Abraham Lincoln

Semper fi!

Go to page   <<      

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top