Current Weather @ 11:15 AM Clear skies Temp 48.5º Humidity 44% Winds ESE 4.0mph Max Gust 9.2mph
Todays Extremes High 49.1º Low 24.1º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 48"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 11:00 AM v2.1
Run Spr to Highland  (330): 19 mins  
Highland to Run Spr  (330): 20 mins  
Big Bear to Run Spr    (18): 21 mins  
Run Spr to Big Bear    (18): 21 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 65 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 67 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 32 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 36 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 342, Members: 2 ...
Cornbread
HazMatMind

most ever online: 1871
(Members: 29, Guests: 1842) on Nov 30 : 08:15am

Members: 5955
Newest member: Mooszoo
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:
Happy Birthday to:

Birthday Cake
MyCon

Upcoming Birthdays:
Jan 24 grizzly
Jan 24 Gunny1954
Jan 28 Flylow
Jan 28 GreatWhiteNorth
Jan 28 Tracy BBC
Jan 29 Van
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: WEATHER DISCUSSION
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Best of Ben's Webcams

Go to page       >>  
Author Post
©ammy ⭐
Tue Oct 21 2014, 10:21AM Email Thread Print View

:
With all the recent installations, I know we'll see plenty of cool pictures from Ben's webcams. I'm starting this thread so we can share the pictures that we like here.

Last night's sunset from the new Baldwin Lake cam:

bills grandson
Tue Oct 21 2014, 10:59AM

Registered Member #659
:
I love the webcams. Would love to see a mobile one. Would be fun to ride with cammy out in the woods.
Butler peak would be the best place for one that could rotate. Would be neat to have an ocean view, or to see into Mexico, and a great shot of the valley.
My view of San Jacinto is about the same but from a lot farther away. If that one rotates you can get another San G cam

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

"I solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same"

WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE, ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!
©ammy ⭐
Tue Oct 21 2014, 11:38AM

:
I'd love to put a webcam up at Butler Peak! I've even tried to think of a way to just take something up there on the days we staff the tower. But the only way I can think of to accomplish that is to use my cell phone and I really don't want to tie it up all day while we're in the tower. And I'm certainly not leaving it up there when we're not in the tower!
The best way I can think of to have a webcam up there when we're there is to use one of my old phones (that's actually what's taking these pictures: [Click Here]). But I need an automated way to send the pictures from the old phone to my current one so it can send the pictures out on the internet. I think I'd need to use Bluetooth to send the images from one phone to the other. But in my searching, I can't find an app that will automatically send the pictures every 10 minutes or so. Then I'd probably need another app to automatically find the images on my new phone and upload them to the internet, again, automatically.
©ammy ⭐
Tue Oct 21 2014, 11:39AM

:
bills grandson wrote ...

Would be fun to ride with cammy out in the woods.

Too much of the time, I don't have a decent cell signal out in the forest.
bills grandson
Tue Oct 21 2014, 01:28PM

Registered Member #659
:
someday they will have it. I would think the FS would go for it so they could see first hand.
As for now a gopro would be the best way but then not live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

"I solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same"

NShore.Allen
Tue Oct 21 2014, 03:04PM

wanna be UTH
Registered Member #4616
:
Cammy, is there cell signal at the top of the tower?

I love all the webcams..

A smile is a curve that can set things a lot of things straight
Benny ⭐
Tue Oct 21 2014, 05:10PM

:
We've had them up on Bertha Peak in the past, not Butler, I may have mentioned that one in the past. Cammy is there power at Butler? I know Bertha there is as we had a cam up there for the X-Games @ Summit and shot the signal down.

ON TWITTER! OR FOR LOCAL WEATHER [Click Here]
Website
bills grandson
Tue Oct 21 2014, 05:37PM

Registered Member #659
:
How much power do they need? It shouldn't take a lot in solar panels to run it.
Of course if it can't be isolated after every thunderstorm it would have to be replaced.
FS should be happy to have it if they can control it's direction when they need to. A good camera with magnification could almost replace a spotter plane during fires

©ammy ⭐
Tue Oct 21 2014, 06:22PM

:
NShore.Allen wrote ...

Cammy, is there cell signal at the top of the tower?

Depending on which side of the tower you're on.
On one side, I get fast 4G signal. On the other side, there's not even enough signal to receive a phone call.
©ammy ⭐
Tue Oct 21 2014, 06:29PM

:
Benny (N6BWX) wrote ...

I know Bertha there is as we had a cam up there for the X-Games @ Summit and shot the signal down.

Woah! Did the camera have a huge amount of zoom or what?
Go to page       >>  

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top