Current Weather @ 12:54 PM overcast Temp 27.1º Humidity 71% Winds SSW 6.0mph Max Gust 26.5mph
Todays Extremes High 30.2º Low 19.7º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 45"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)

(Click alert for more info)
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 12:30 PM v2.1
Big Bear to Highland (330): CLOSED   
Highland to Big Bear (330): CLOSED   
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 81 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 100 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 44 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 40 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 686, Members: 17 ...
WaveSlider
Hugereilly
MrRnB
Rich Pfeiffer
onur6boss
kittygirl
bashley101
Airport Razz
HazMatMind
booboo
WoolyBear
Cap'n Crunch
BBNona
Desertmtngirl
Desert Way Jay
Silver

most ever online: 1532
(Members: 36, Guests: 1496) on Jul 06 : 02:54pm

Members: 5310
Newest member: mlc
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:
Happy Birthday to:

Birthday Cake
OldJoe

Upcoming Birthdays:
Feb 18 Lalala
Feb 18 Rain
Feb 18 fastelk
Feb 18 kof218
Feb 19 iyayu2
Feb 19 cvanorden
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: GENERAL DISCUSSION
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

NASA and other patches

Go to page       >>  
Author Post
NShore.Allen
Sun Dec 09 2018, 09:07AM Email Thread Print View

wanna be UTH
Registered Member #4616
:
Here is a collection of patches and other stuff from various "aerospace" activities... The buttons on the left were for access to Edward AFB to see the shuttle landings. Most happened near sunrise and the view was better on the other side of the landing area with the sun at your back.

A smile is a curve that can set things a lot of things straight
©ammy
Sun Dec 09 2018, 11:12AM

:
That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing those.
HazMatMind
Sun Dec 09 2018, 12:27PM
Registered Member #14060
:
Awesome!
Doug G
Sun Dec 09 2018, 04:25PM
Registered Member #1586
:
I was fortunate enough to do a 1 month temporary assignment at this place

[Click Here]

I worked for Control Data in the 1970's and early 1980's, and CDC maintained a computer room full of DEC computers in the Spacecom facility in Las Cruces NM. If I remember properly, I was there shortly after the first TDRS satellite was launched.

I still have a windbreaker that says "Spacecom" on the back

======
Doug G
======
NShore.Allen
Sun Dec 09 2018, 04:53PM

wanna be UTH
Registered Member #4616
:
bernermom asked about ny earliest patch. The Apollo 14 (1971) patch was given to my by Alan Sheppard when we both worked for McDonnell Douglas in HB (early 80's).. was it from the 70s? hard to tell. The other I collected at the time of various missions. The Edwards AFB gift shop was awesome.

The Strategic Defense Initiative patch (aka Star Wars) was given to me from the Army BMDO (Ballistic Missile Defense org) commanding general during the HEDI (High Endoatmospheric Defense Interceptor) program, 1986.

The envelope in the lower right corner flew on STS-8 in 1983. I have other patches (somewhere in the archives..) one is an original Apollo 11 patch and my dad had a few from Mercury and Gemini.

I made the shadow box for my annual "Rocket" presentation to our local 6th graders..

Then there are the coffee mugs...

Dave™
Mon Dec 10 2018, 01:21PM

It's been 50 years and counting...
Registered Member #30
:
Well, Scott. You made me delve into my archives of pins, pictures, etc. Here's a picture of various pins I've hung on my wall. I've got more that I haven't gotten around to adding yet.

And here's a flag I'm pretty proud of since it flew to MIR on STS-91

I also had many amazing opportunities to meet quite a few of the astronauts. I liked to say I met many very ordinary people who just happened to be doing the most extraordinary things. Here's two pictures of Station's Expedition 2 crew, Jim Voss and Susan Helms, from October 2001.

Maybe you and I ought to get together some day, dig out our archives, and swap doubles to fill out the collections. I've even got a few of the STS-1 decals from the first Shuttle mission with John Young & Bob Crippen.

On a sad note, Scott, I here they're in the early stages of tearing down Bldg 17, otherwise known as the Space Station Building on what's left of the HB Campus.

"A sad day is seeing Big Bear in your rear view mirror" - @llen

" A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money" -attributed to Everett Dirksen

"If God wanted us to vote, He should have provided candidates." - The Kingston Trio
©ammy
Mon Dec 10 2018, 08:37PM

:
Thanks for sharing your cool collection too, Dave!

When I was young, we lived up in the high desert near Edwards AFB. A friend of my parents had worked for many years doing something related to the space shuttle (I don't remember what). One time when we were at his house, he showed us pieces he had from the heat shield that had broken and were removed from one of the shuttles. He also had a US Flag that flew on the shuttle Enterprise during one of it's test flights.
The funniest thing I remember though was the toilet paper he said they used on the space shuttles - it was printed to look like money because that's how our tax dollars were being spent, or something funny like that.
Skier
Tue Dec 11 2018, 08:17AM

Registered Member #2863
:

Here's what I've got, from back when I was a Quality Assurance Inspector for a aerospace company in Burbank (mid 1980's-1994) :

NShore.Allen
Tue Dec 11 2018, 08:33AM

wanna be UTH
Registered Member #4616
:
Skier, nice collection!

Dave™
Tue Dec 11 2018, 10:51AM

It's been 50 years and counting...
Registered Member #30
:
NShore.Allen wrote ...

Skier, nice collection!

Yes, it is! All my patches are in a box (AKA archives) somewhere. Guess the kids will discover them someday.

"A sad day is seeing Big Bear in your rear view mirror" - @llen

" A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money" -attributed to Everett Dirksen

"If God wanted us to vote, He should have provided candidates." - The Kingston Trio
Go to page       >>  

Moderators: Craig (KJ6BCM), ©ammy, Lumbe® Jill, Mtn.goat John, Debbie Doodah, ***SCM ALERT***, Benny (N6BWX), Socalmountains Admin, ***WX ALERT***

Jump:     Back to top