Current Weather @ 3:52 PM Clear skies Temp 57.1º Humidity 18% Winds W 4.0mph Max Gust 16.1mph
Todays Extremes High 58.4º Low 25.1º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 82"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 03:45 PM v2.1
Big Bear to Highland (330): 52 mins  
Highland to Big Bear (330): 55 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 67 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 70 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 33 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 36 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 375, Members: 9 ...
Mauluch
onur6boss
Van
Inspectorkris72
MrOwl
Desert Way Jay
Tlingit
wade easton
HazMatMind

most ever online: 1740
(Members: 37, Guests: 1703) on Feb 22 : 08:23am

Members: 5463
Newest member: ldr
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:
Happy Birthday to:

Birthday Cake
Rook123
Granya

Upcoming Birthdays:
Mar 29 LXL
Mar 30 CareBear
Mar 30 srndpte
Mar 30 American Guns
Mar 30 jujubean
Mar 30 Keno
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: GENERAL DISCUSSION
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

NASA and other patches

Go to page   <<      
Author Post
Cap'n Crunch
Tue Dec 11 2018, 03:09PM

Registered Member #12800
:
Thanks to NSA, Dave and Skier for sharing your collections. My former father-in-law had his on display at his home in Santa Maria where he ended his career in the 80's working for North American at Vandenberg. He was in at the beginning of our aerospace effort and my first wife has pictures of herself as a child in a pool at Coco Beach (circa 1953) being carried around on the shoulders of Werner Von Braun! Thanks for the memories.

Tim (KE6PMA)
Dave™
Tue Dec 11 2018, 03:44PM

It's been 50 years and counting...
Registered Member #30
:
Cap'n Crunch wrote ...

... and my first wife has pictures of herself as a child in a pool at Coco Beach (circa 1953) being carried around on the shoulders of Werner Von Braun! Thanks for the memories.

That's special. I did meet him once but it was at a presentation my Dad took me to when I was in High School. Needless to say I wasn't carried around on his shoulders...

"A sad day is seeing Big Bear in your rear view mirror" - @llen

" A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money" -attributed to Everett Dirksen

"If God wanted us to vote, He should have provided candidates." - The Kingston Trio
Skier
Tue Dec 11 2018, 04:15PM

Registered Member #2863
:
Yep those patches bring back memories for sure. I had mine stashed in a box in the closet and thanks to this thread I had a reason to pull them out The company I worked for made high pressure fittings and seals used on the Space Shuttle. All orders were 100% inspected and had to have a source inspector from Martin Marietta come to or plant and buy it off and they would give us the stickers. I was hoping they would be worth a ton of money to help me retire, but checked googled to see how rich I am, and sadly they're only worth about a buck a peice.

Will U.S.A. ever have a manned space program again? I read that it is not necessary anymore to have humans aboard because robots can do just about everything and it's not worth the risk. Maybe Trump's Space Force will have a cool new shuttle again. I'd be all for it because human space flight inspires us gives us all something to root for and all be on the same team.
NShore.Allen
Tue Dec 11 2018, 04:32PM

wanna be UTH
Registered Member #4616
:
This original NRO observation satellite (Key Hole 10, aka MOL/Manned Orbiting Laboratory) was intended to be manned with observers looking at the ground thru telescopes.

They later learned robots are more reliable...

A smile is a curve that can set things a lot of things straight
doo·hick·ey
Wed Dec 12 2018, 11:46PM

Registered Member #13841
:
I 'Spaced' it responding to this thread. Those are super stellar collections. I have my collection buried in one of our back-forty sheds and will dig ‘em out sometime.

Kind of off topic: Anybody shop at Norton Sales Google Maps images on Laurel Canyon Blvd? Bestest-Hugest-Junkyard of Industrial/Aerospace equipment. My company had an account there, tried to be there every couple months. When I could, I steered away from the full price industrial, electrical and science catalogs.

I was at Western Filter (now Donaldson) Valencia, CA back in '98-'09 ..made their brochure:

Polar Orbit
Thu Dec 13 2018, 02:48PM
Registered Member #14051
:
I wasn't a collector like the rest of you. All I have is a Shuttle coffe mug I bought at Marshall SFC in 1986, and the CDR document presentaion for the SRM boosters from late 1987. I though I kept more of the computer FEM models, but managed to lose them.
Lumber Jill ⭐
Thu Dec 13 2018, 06:32PM

R

:
I don't have patches or stickers or mugs, but this is a photo of my kids sitting with Tracy Caldwell right before she left for her astronaut training. The picture is sitting in the window of the ISS. Tracy was in my y research group in grad school and use to babysit for me from time to time. Funny thing is that's a picture of a picture of a picture

What doesn't kill me does NOT make me stronger. It makes me anxious, bitchy, and vulnerable...but nobody wants to see that embroidered on a pillow...Lisa Kogan...thx LXL...sorry i stole it from you! Ok, maybe I'm not sorry :-P

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow...Larry the Cable Guy
Craig ⭐
Thu Dec 13 2018, 06:36PM

Total Eclipse 2017 Casper WY

:
Wow, awesome picture from the past Rsters! Ive never seen your kids when they were youngins!

Lumbe® Jill wrote ...

I don't have patches or stickers or mugs, but this is a photo of my kids sitting with Tracy Caldwell right before she left for her astronaut training. The picture is sitting in the window of the ISS. Tracy was in my y research group in grad school and use to babysit for me from time to time. Funny thing is that's a picture of a picture of a picture

Winter can leave now... Lets try to get above 50 degrees???
Go to page   <<      

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top