Current Weather @ 9:41 PM Clear skies Temp 59.3º Humidity 56% Winds WSW 0.0mph Max Gust 18.4mph
Todays Extremes High 79.4º Low 42.1º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 0"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 09:30 PM v2.1
Big Bear to Highland (330): 43 mins  
Highland to Big Bear (330): 41 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 69 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 66 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 34 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 34 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 433, Members: 5 ...
Craig ⭐
Polar Orbit
Djcrapilicious

most ever online: 1740
(Members: 37, Guests: 1703) on Feb 22 : 08:23am

Members: 5588
Newest member: lrb81087
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:

Upcoming Birthdays:
Aug 25 iladyofthelake
Aug 26 WindyBaldwin
Aug 28 FightsFire4U
Aug 31 ArrowheadHunter
Sep 01 crow
Sep 01 MountainDog
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: COMPUTING FORUM
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Your Smarthome Setup Might Break, and There’s Nothing You Can Do About It

Author Post
Delj
Sun Feb 10 2019, 10:24AM Email Thread Print View
:
Here is another article on the perils of applications within a new technology:

[Click Here]

To every man is given the key to the gates of heaven; the same key opens the gates of hell.

Moderators: Craig ⭐, EnglishMuffin, Delj, Benny ⭐, Cam

Jump:     Back to top

Powered by e107 Forum System
Chatbox
You must be logged in to post comments on this site - please either log in or if you are not registered click here to signup

Craig ⭐
Aug 24 : 09:43pm
BTS museum is cool!

Between ⭐️S
Aug 24 : 09:34pm
I am not a flatlander but I do have a flat head.... forgot where I was going with this. Anyway, have a great Sunday everyone. Oh, I know, visit the Museum, sit in the shade with a cool sarsaparilla, and have a nice time. Yea, that was it.

EvaJ
Aug 24 : 09:09pm
From the other side of the coin: I was driving DTH, going the speed limit and had a line of cars in front of me. A old jeep came up on me very fast so I planned to use the next turnout. He didn't give me time to get there and he passed (illegally) on a curve only to nearly rear end the next car in line. He screamed at me as he went by. Did he have a woman in labor in the car? What on earth could be important enough to risk a head on collision? This isn't the only time I've had this happen over the years but it's usually a sports car. For those of you that flash you lights at me when I use the turnout for you...thanks! I always say" ahhh...you're welcome!" out loud. My dog probably thinks I'm insane. She could be right.

dsrtpsn
Aug 24 : 06:51pm
I drive the Idyllwild road from Palm Desert, faster than most. I am more comfortable on mountain roads than freeways, but if someone is behind me, ill gladly let them pass, or ill pull over.

BBNona
Aug 24 : 05:58pm
Tlingit! I just think we all need to obey the law! If you want to drive slow, then pull over! That’s all

SDGrandma
Aug 24 : 05:01pm
wolfman If you go to the CA DMV webpage you can obtain the information for Driving laws in 103 languages!! When you go into a DMV office to pick up a Driver's Lic handbook, you can barely find an English one but they have one for every language listed. In each of those books there is clearly stated about the turnouts. Just like you and I if we have California Driver's License we are signing off to knowing all these laws and nowadays anyone can get a license. SO maybe during busy season some more CHP monitoring is needed which also generates income for the State so people get the message. To put a sign up with all the languages would obstruct the beautiful views of the mountains. If a poll be taken I would bet that 99% of the people who speed up etc speck only English! Can I mention!fanit dumb drivers again?

bluemeadow
Aug 24 : 04:55pm
Assimilation is important and you do need to learn the language of the land you live in. It's also important that people from everywhere that might travel up here be able to decipher traffic rules. This is for everyone's safety. This is why the rest of the world has standard traffic signs, often in universal symbols and in several languages, including English. Just yesterday in the Von's parking lot, there vas a German van that was traveling around the world, starting from Germany, They had already done much of Europe and African, are in the middle of North America and are traveling down through South America. So you never know where people up here might have come from! It said 2mitBulliumdie welt.de

SDGrandma
Aug 24 : 04:44pm
Been going up to Big Bear for 60 years! Would love to live there but just has not worked out. I refer to myself as a flatlander and an old one! I live DTH (down the hill) and that also could be derogatory. I am going down hill in more ways than one and if I sit too much, flatlander could mean more than living on the land below the mountains. I picked up the terms many many years ago from the people at Big Bear and felt it was said with no double meaning or disrespect. And BTW I do turn out if there is even one care behind me and I am not a slow driver. I also stay in the slow lane when in a passing lane situation since there are also those that wish to fly off the mountain without wings and I am no one to stop them. So Nona....gripe all you want! Those of us that travel those roads often understand what you are saying.....It is not only flatlanders but just plain ol' dumb people who should not be behind the wheel.... Ok Go for it I said dumb!!!!

Tlingit
Aug 24 : 01:37pm
Assimilation is key mtman. If I moved to another country I'd be expected to speak the language.

WaveSlider
Aug 24 : 11:50am
Have a good weekend everybody. Looks really nice up there.

MtMan
Aug 24 : 11:24am
I get your point but disagree. You should learn english if you live here, period.

wolfman
Aug 24 : 11:00am
Korean

wolfman
Aug 24 : 10:59am
I think that the turn out signs should also be written Spainish,Mandarin and loren.

Socalman
Aug 24 : 10:28am
I have been going up and down from Big Bear for almost 70 years. We are part-timers. My parents owned since about 1957, my wife and I bought in 2002. I can tell you that is it not only flatlanders who do speed up on the passing lanes.I have seen cars and trucks with business signs do the same. I am not offended by the term flatlander, I suppose it is descriptive. It certainly is easier then saying 'someone who lives off the mountain.'

Tlingit
Aug 24 : 10:00am
"flatlanders" is a derogatory remark don't you think Nona?

(C)2002-2018 Socalmountains.com
All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy Terms of Service
Contact Us

{THEMEDISCLAIMER}