Current Weather @ 10:45 AM Clear skies Temp 60.9º Humidity 23% Winds WNW 1.0mph Max Gust 13.8mph
Todays Extremes High 61.0º Low 31.4º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 0"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 10:30 AM v2.1
Big Bear to Highland (330): 44 mins  
Highland to Big Bear (330): 45 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 64 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 69 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 35 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 37 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 257, Members: 5 ...
ShareBigBear
Boatmick
MrOwl
-WINGNUT-
sned (KT7P)

most ever online: 1740
(Members: 37, Guests: 1703) on Feb 22 : 08:23am

Members: 5636
Newest member: Nana Bear
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Upcoming Birthdays:
Oct 20 Deb Doodah⭐
Oct 20 SDBeachGyrl
Oct 21 1happygranny
Oct 21 ScottR
Oct 21 Margie
Oct 23 Abner
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: NEWS
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

EAGLES JACKIE & SHADOW ~ LAY EGG(S)? 2019

Go to page       >>  
Author Post
Benny ⭐
Wed Mar 06 2019, 01:59PM Email Thread Print View

:
Very exciting times! Our local Eagle Jackie just laid one of who knows how many more eggs!

You can watch it all unfold live again this season streaming on youtube here!

CLICK TO ENLARGE!

ON TWITTER! OR FOR LOCAL WEATHER [Click Here]
Website
Fawnskindawn
Wed Mar 06 2019, 02:19PM
Registered Member #12790
:
Shadow just saw the egg but seemed a bit confused

Renee

BusterBrown
Wed Mar 06 2019, 03:39PM

BusterBrown
Registered Member #14723
:

SCM ALERT🚨
Wed Mar 06 2019, 04:41PM

Automated Alert Robot

:
A links to some eagle brooding facts that Hugerielly posted in the chatbox: [Click Here]

Good Stuff, enjoy!

==============
SCM Automated Alerts
---------------------------- ---------------------------------
Follow the Latest Incidents:
Twitter: @bigbearscanner
Facebook: Socalmountains.com
Lumber Jill ⭐
Wed Mar 06 2019, 07:20PM

R

:
Big Bear bald eagle lays an egg ahead of last public count

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. — Days before the last bald eagle count event of the season, one of Big Bear’s wintering eagles laid an egg live on camera this afternoon. U.S. Forest Service biologists were on the lookout for this moment since the nesting pair has been displaying mating behavior for over a month.

“Now, for the next 35 or so days, we will see the parents share incubation duties,” said Forest Service biologist Robin Eliason. “This regulates the temperature of the egg so the embryo can develop. If all goes well, we should see a hatchling in around April 10. And if things go like last year, we may see a second egg laid later this week!”

The nesting area, which is on the north side of Big Bear Lake in the Fawnskin neighborhood, is currently closed to the public. No hiking, snow play or other activities are allowed in the closure zone. Bald eagles during nesting season are sensitive to human interference and may abandon the nest if feeling threatened. Law enforcement officers have made a presence in the area and will continue to throughout the season.

Luckily, visitors may see a bald eagle this Saturday morning, March 9, at the last winter bald eagle count of the season, an annual event now in its 40th year that takes place at five Inland Empire lakes, including Big Bear. The event allows the public to put their citizen scientist hat on and collect data that helps U.S. Forest Service biologists understand the local wintering bald eagle population.

No reservations are needed; just show up at a designated location at the start time with binoculars and a way to keep time. And don’t forget to dress for winter weather and bring chains if driving to a mountain location!

Time and location details are as follows:

· Big Bear Lake area participants will meet at 8 a.m. at the Big Bear Discovery Center on North Shore Drive (Hwy 38) for orientation. Contact Robin Eliason (reliason@fs.fed.us or 909-382-2832) for more information. Please call 909-382-2832 for cancelation due to winter weather conditions – an outgoing message will be left no later than 6:00 am on Saturday morning if it has to be canceled due to weather and road conditions. There will also be a free slideshow presentation about bald eagles at 11 a.m. after the count.

· Lake Arrowhead/Lake Gregory area participants will meet at 8 a.m. at the Skyforest Work Center on Hwy 18 for orientation. Contact Robin Eliason (reliason@fs.fed.us or 909-382-2832) for more information. Please call 909-382-2832 for cancelation due to winter weather conditions – an outgoing message will be no later than 6:00 am on Saturday morning if it has to be canceled due to weather and road conditions.

· Silverwood Lake State Recreation Area participants should plan to meet at the Silverwood Lake’s park office on Cleghorn Rd. (west of Highway 138) at 8 a.m. for orientation. Contact Mark Wright for more information about volunteering or taking an eagle tour (760-389-2303 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.; or email: mark.wright©parks.ca.gov).

· Lake Hemet participants should plan on meeting at the Lake Hemet Grocery Store at 8:30 a.m. for orientation. NOTE: Highway 74 from Hemet and Highway 243 from Banning are currently closed due to storm damage. Participants must use Highway 74 from Anza or Palm Desert.

· Lake Perris State Recreation Area participants should plan to meet at the Lake Perris Regional Indian Museum at 8 a.m. for orientation. For more information call Lake Perris SRA at 951-940-5600 or the Lake Perris Regional Indian Museum at 951-940-5657.

Those who can’t make the counts can still try to see bald eagles around our local lakes this winter. Contact the Big Bear Discovery Center (909-382-2790) or the Idyllwild Ranger Station (909-382-2921) for eagle watching tips and etiquette on the San Bernardino National Forest.

And for eagle viewing any time of the day, the live feed of the bald eagle nest is back! Through a partnership with the Friends of the Big Bear Valley, a new camera was installed last summer, offering a higher resolution feed, better zooming and a nearly 360-degree panning option. It can be viewed at the Institute for Wildlife Studies’ website or on YouTube.

Zach Behrens
Public Affairs Officer, Forest Service
San Bernardino National Forest, Supervisor's Office

What doesn't kill me does NOT make me stronger. It makes me anxious, bitchy, and vulnerable...but nobody wants to see that embroidered on a pillow...Lisa Kogan...thx LXL...sorry i stole it from you! Ok, maybe I'm not sorry :-P

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow...Larry the Cable Guy
Fawnskindawn
Thu Mar 07 2019, 07:20AM
Registered Member #12790
:
A bit worried that the egg has been left uncovered for the last hour. Jackie left at 6:20.

Renee

Lumber Jill ⭐
Thu Mar 07 2019, 07:37AM

R

:
Fawnskindawn wrote ...

A bit worried that the egg has been left uncovered for the last hour. Jackie left at 6:20.

Trust the process. The first egg often isn't fully incubated until the next egg (or the last egg) is laid, so that they'll hatch closer together. At this point they only need to keep it from freezing. Of course, it is nerve wracking. A predictor could always steal the egg, but I suspect that the parents are close by aware of who may be at their nest.

What doesn't kill me does NOT make me stronger. It makes me anxious, bitchy, and vulnerable...but nobody wants to see that embroidered on a pillow...Lisa Kogan...thx LXL...sorry i stole it from you! Ok, maybe I'm not sorry :-P

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow...Larry the Cable Guy
Fawnskindawn
Thu Mar 07 2019, 07:50AM
Registered Member #12790
:
Thanks LumberJill. Shadow seems a bit confused but trying hard. I say April 11 2:45 pm for the first eaglet to hatch.

Renee

Lumber Jill ⭐
Thu Mar 07 2019, 10:15AM

R

:
From Friends of Big Bear Valley and Big Bear Eagle Nest Cam
Facebook page:
"If you are worried about the egg being exposed without incubation, here is some information that might help ease your mind a bit. "According to Professor Jim Grier, birds often start incubation slowly or gradually when temperatures aren’t in the freezing range. Freshly laid eggs can spend a lot of time in the zone of suspended development (roughly 28.4 to 80.6°F or -2°C to 27°C) with no harm to the egg or embryo." Currently it's 34 degrees in the nest vicinity. Last year, there were several times very soon after the egg(s) was laid when it was left alone for what seemed like long periods. Keeping our fingers crossed that Jackie and Shadow know what they're doing."

Lumber Jill ⭐
Fri Mar 08 2019, 07:51AM

R

:

Go to page       >>  

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, firephoto84, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top