Current Weather @ 09:15 AM Clear skies Temp 55.9º Humidity 22% Winds E 7.0mph Max Gust 13.0mph
Todays Extremes High 55.9º Low 27.2º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 0"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 09:00 AM v2.1
Big Bear to Highland (330): 41 mins  
Highland to Big Bear (330): 41 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 63 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 66 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 33 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 34 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 508, Members: 14 ...
HazMatMind
Muni_Captain
bernermom
Quakes🦊
Hugereilly
cricket
Spiceguy(ret.)
Boatmick
rsbruce
Cap'n Crunch
rebug
sned (KT7P)
Van
CaptShake39

most ever online: 1740
(Members: 37, Guests: 1703) on Feb 22 : 08:23am

Members: 5700
Newest member: GrammyD
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:
Happy Birthday to:

Birthday Cake
Silver

Upcoming Birthdays:
Nov 18 LB BIG BEAR
Nov 19 RichardG
Nov 19 Cap'n Crunch
Nov 20 Teamroper
Nov 21 BassistVince
Nov 22 UUCamper
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: NEWS
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

EAGLES JACKIE & SHADOW ~ LAY EGG(S)? 2019

Go to page   <<        >>  
Author Post
Lumber Jill ⭐
Fri Mar 08 2019, 07:52AM

R

:
Shadow

What doesn't kill me does NOT make me stronger. It makes me anxious, bitchy, and vulnerable...but nobody wants to see that embroidered on a pillow...Lisa Kogan...thx LXL...sorry i stole it from you! Ok, maybe I'm not sorry :-P

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow...Larry the Cable Guy
Polar Orbit
Fri Mar 08 2019, 10:06AM
Registered Member #14051
:
With the cold, I'm betting on a later hatch. First pip April 12. Not fully hatched until the 13th. Second egg sometime tomorrow, Sat Mar 9.

Don't blame me! I was left unsupervised!
Benny ⭐
Fri Mar 08 2019, 04:51PM

:
Polar Orbit wrote ...

With the cold, I'm betting on a later hatch. First pip April 12. Not fully hatched until the 13th. Second egg sometime tomorrow, Sat Mar 9.

They're usually pretty punctualm April 11-12th sounds just about right! If if there's to be another egg is should happen now-through the weekend.

Just throwing the live feed here again in case anyone comes straight to Page 2 of the discussion.

ON TWITTER! OR FOR LOCAL WEATHER [Click Here]
Website
Lumber Jill ⭐
Fri Mar 08 2019, 07:56PM

R

:
An interesting article about eagle trios: [Click Here]

What doesn't kill me does NOT make me stronger. It makes me anxious, bitchy, and vulnerable...but nobody wants to see that embroidered on a pillow...Lisa Kogan...thx LXL...sorry i stole it from you! Ok, maybe I'm not sorry :-P

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow...Larry the Cable Guy
onur6boss
Fri Mar 08 2019, 08:12PM

Registered Member #7383
:
Great article. And so heartwarming. I am in awe of nature. And absolutely enthralled with our eagles. I can't wait to share this article with hubby. Thank you for sharing, LJ.

MJ
Benny ⭐
Sat Mar 09 2019, 05:35PM

:
JACKIE HAS LAID HER SECOND EGG!!!

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Website
Benny ⭐
Sat Mar 09 2019, 05:37PM

:
Close up

Website
Fawnskindawn
Sat Mar 09 2019, 06:50PM
Registered Member #12790
:
way to go Jackie.

Renee

Benny ⭐
Sat Mar 09 2019, 08:33PM

:
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. — After more than 125 people fanned out across Southern California’s Inland
Empire to participate in the last public bald eagle count of the season, a bald eagle in Big Bear laid a
second egg at a nest where a live webcam is placed. It was laid at approximately 5:25 p.m. The first egg
was laid on Wednesday, March 6.

The incubation period for bald eagle eggs averages around 35 days. The parents will switch off incubation
duties to keep the eggs warm as the embryos develop. If all goes well, including if the eggs were fertilized
in the first place during mating, chicks should hatch in early to mid-April.

At the public count earlier in the day, thirteen bald eagles were confirmed citizen scientists during this
last winter bald eagle count of the season. It is the 40th year of the annual count that spans five lakes
within San Bernardino National Forest and two California State Park recreation areas on four Saturdays
throughout the winter. The results from today are as follows:

 Big Bear Lake: 2 adults, 4 subadults (37 participants)
 Lake Arrowhead: 1 adult (4 participants)
 Lake Hemet: 1 adult (5 participants)
 Lake Perris State Recreation Area: 2 adults (47 participants)
 Silverwood Lake State Recreation Area: 1 adult, 2 subadults (30 participants)
Several dozen bald eagles typically spend their winter vacations around Southern California’s lakes,
adding to a few resident nesting bald eagles that stay year-round. Agency biologists recruit the
public to help monitor the local population by conducting simultaneous counts.

The count coordinators from the Forest Service and California State Parks would like to thank those
participants for their dedication in getting up early and participating in the event. The success of the
eagle counts is entirely dependent on the citizen scientists!

For eagle viewing any time of the day, there’s a live-feed of the Big Bear bald eagle nest! The nest-cam
is provided by the Friends of the Big Bear Valley and can be viewed at their website, the Institute for
Wildlife Studies’ website or on YouTube.

The webcam monitors a nest on National Forest lands near Big Bear Lake’s north shore.

The area around the nest is closed to all public entry until the chicks have fledged.
The closure encompasses Grout Bay Picnic Area, Grays Peak Trail and surrounding National Forest areas.
No entry, including snow play on the edges of the area, is allowed.
Bald eagles during nesting season are sensitive to human interference and may abandon nesting activities if feeling threatened.

Those who did not make the counts can still try to see bald eagles around local lakes this winter.

Contact the Big Bear Discovery Center (909-382-2790) or the Idyllwild Ranger Station (909-382-2921)
for eagle watching tips and etiquette on the San Bernardino National Forest

Website
Fawnskindawn
Sun Mar 10 2019, 07:43AM
Registered Member #12790
:
Shadow actually spent 24 minutes laying quietly on the eggs this morning. I think he is getting used to it.

Renee

Go to page   <<        >>  

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, firephoto84, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top