Current Weather @ 02:21 AM Clear skies Temp 49.4º Humidity 54% Winds S 0.0mph Max Gust 6.0mph
Todays Extremes High 53.7º Low 49.4º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 93"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 02:00 AM v2.1
Run Spr to Highland  (330): 20 mins  
Highland to Run Spr  (330): 20 mins  
Big Bear to Run Spr    (18): 22 mins  
Run Spr to Big Bear    (18): 21 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 62 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 66 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 32 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 33 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 136, Members: 0 ...

most ever online: 1871
(Members: 29, Guests: 1842) on Nov 30 : 08:15am

Members: 6103
Newest member: CScalf
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Upcoming Birthdays:
Jun 06 Stormie
Jun 06 Linda D
Jun 06 Momberose
Jun 07 QuantumBear
Jun 08 Don
Jun 08 EBBohv
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: NEWS
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

EAGLES JACKIE & SHADOW ~ LAY EGG(S)? 2019

Go to page   <<      
Author Post
Lumber Jill ⭐
Tue Jul 23 2019, 06:39AM

R

:
Simba fledged this morning at 6:19

What doesn't kill me does NOT make me stronger. It makes me anxious, bitchy, and vulnerable...but nobody wants to see that embroidered on a pillow...Lisa Kogan...thx LXL...sorry i stole it from you! Ok, maybe I'm not sorry :-P

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow...Larry the Cable Guy
Cornbread
Tue Jul 23 2019, 07:35AM

cornbread
Registered Member #106
:
They grow up so fast. sniff sniff
SDGrandma
Wed Jul 31 2019, 03:20PM

Registered Member #1783
:
This is posted on Friends of Big Bear...the wonderful people with the live show"Simba"....
Please read and spread the word......

Friends of Big Bear Valley and Big Bear Eagle Nest Cam
6 hrs ·
Look at the size of Simba's beautiful wing next to Shadow!
We'll pretend that Simba was stretching that out alongside dad to show us how proud he is of his big wings...
shhh...so, don't look at the photos showing this was actually when he made a bit of a crash landing into the limb behind dad as he tried to pull down from zipping in too fast to get that fish laying in the nest...
...and we'll whistle and look the other way when he later flies in too high and fast for mom's fish delivery and has to pass by the nest tree to keep from hitting the limb again...
We'll focus on the perfect landing he did on the next pass and all think 'congratulations to Simba, the great flyer!'
**Unfortunately, as Simba learns to hone his flying skills we have discovered that some local photographers seem to think that getting their photos is more important than giving Simba the best chance possible to learn his skills and survive on his own. The National Forest area around the nest has been and remains closed to the public specifically to give Simba that best chance of having a good, healthy and long future. Based on his a bit raggaly flying skills, how quickly Simba gets to the nest for food and that we are often hearing his squees nearby, including this morning, it is highly unlikely that Simba has left the closed area since he fledged last week. Which means that ANY PHOTOS of Simba outside of the nest, on trees other than the nest tree, were taken by someone violating that closure and putting Simba at risk as well as his parents who are trying to protect him. We are very sad to see people putting their own needs ahead of those of our beloved bald eagle family. Please do not support this entitled behavior either by being thrilled with the photos online or by buying them. That will only encourage this type of wreckless behavior against the eagles. You can have all the photos you want from the live stream and the photos we post here and the photos and videos others post here and on other sites. I post so many photos so everyone can see and download the ones they want--all with no impact to the eagles. That is why we put up the nest cam--to be able to watch and share the lives of these beautiful birds with the world without endangering them. And I ask that you to PLEASE PLEASE SPREAD the WORD about this to all your friends so that everyone understands that we all must follow the rules to keep Simba safe and happy.
A HUGE THANK YOU goes out to all of you, viewers and photographers, who have visited to see the eagles from the safe viewing spots outside the closed area. We honor your integrity.
Thank you!
Sandy

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Polar 🌌rbit
Wed Aug 07 2019, 08:13AM
Registered Member #14051
:
In the forest, the mighty forest, the eaglet squees tonight.
Hush my eaglet, don't squee my eaglet, there'll be no fish tonight.
I want a fish, I want a fish, I want a fish, I want a fish,
I want a fish, I want a fish, I want a fish, I want a fish.

Don't blame me! I was left unsupervised!

You can divide the world into two kinds of people: Those who divide the world into two kinds of people and those who don't!
KK
Thu Aug 08 2019, 04:25PM

Registered Member #13
:
Stuck in my head all day!🤣
Skyline Drive
Fri Aug 16 2019, 08:58AM

Registered Member #191
:
Why the name Change from the group?

Inside the gift horse mouth
[Click Here]

!981- 2019 38 years. “I wanted a place where I could live. Now, it’s a place that maybe my kids’ kids can live.”

[Click Here]

End run

[Click Here]

FOBBV
[Click Here]

Indian head test pattern snowflakes
Polar 🌌rbit
Fri Aug 16 2019, 04:48PM
Registered Member #14051
:
Well, looking at the links you put out, I see,
SOS/FTB SUSPENDED
What does that mean for their credibility?

You can divide the world into two kinds of people: Those who divide the world into two kinds of people and those who don't!
Tibia w6ajo
Fri Aug 23 2019, 10:41PM
Tibia
Registered Member #203
:
Thank you for posting the heads up ! Was going to donate.

Bob Bass
Kansas City Barbeque Society (Master Certified BBQ Judge), Steak Cookoff Association (Certified Judge), Operation BBQ Relief
mountainart
Tue Aug 27 2019, 07:38AM

Registered Member #42113
:
to those that post about eagles somehow being harmed by people being nearby and "bothering" the eagles from 70 feet down on the ground under them, I lived in Montana in an area where eagles exhibit their actual behavioral patterns vis a vis human proximity.

They literally could care less about humans being close. They are scavengers, with same mental ways as crows. Look up on youtube the eagles mobbing people, literally stealing grocery bags from folks, building their nests in residential areas, and hanging out anywhere there is free trash and offal.

The birds do not care about human proximity at all, else they would not build their nests, like in our situation, right off the roof edge of an apartment complex, with traffic , and people all around, and the young eagles play chasing rats on a string that the local kids discovered the eagles like to play, like a cat. That there is proof that the eagles DO NOT CARE about human proximity. ( like the famous eagles starting to come back and nest in Manhattan....if eagles were nervous and skittish about nesting near people, that would be the LAST place on earth to nest!

Overt tendencies and proclivity to live amongst and alongside humans is the reason they were almost exterminated and brought to extinction, precisely because in the settler days, they were known for being a grave nuisance, and a pest bird, that made human settlements their desired location to live in, precisely because they are natural opportunistic scavengers. The humans eventually could not dealwith mobs of eagles converging on them all the time, fighting to grab trash and scraps so humans started to treat them as the pests they are, and campaigned to remove their flocks/mobs from human settlements via poisoning, shooting, trapping, etc.

It does a disservice to promote false paranoid emotional based "poor, sensitive birds" Don't buy pictures taken by photohraphers with telephoto lenses because that might make them " nervous" when rhe eagles CHOOSE, ON THEIR OWN, to roost and hang out in the heavily peopled housing tracts behind Vons. Simba also spends time on a snag Juniper up behind the airport, behind community market, watching all rhe traffic, and loud planes taking off. Doesn't care about us people at all, except to scope us out for any easy pickens we leave to score.
Polar 🌌rbit
Tue Aug 27 2019, 09:18PM
Registered Member #14051
:
Well said. Crows in formal attire.

Go to page   <<      

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, firephoto84, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top