Current Weather @ 9:36 PM Clear skies Temp 45.0º Humidity 56% Winds NW 1.0mph Max Gust 23.0mph
Todays Extremes High 60.8º Low 33.9º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 0"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 09:30 PM v2.1
Big Bear to Highland (330): 41 mins  
Highland to Big Bear (330): 41 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 64 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 63 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 34 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 33 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 500, Members: 2 ...
Harlan48
ReliableDan

most ever online: 1740
(Members: 37, Guests: 1703) on Feb 22 : 08:23am

Members: 5636
Newest member: Fawn
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Member's Birthdays:
Happy Birthday to:

Birthday Cake
AnimalResQ

Upcoming Birthdays:
Oct 18 Wilderness
Oct 18 David (KJ6PYV)
Oct 18 MYST
Oct 20 Deb Doodah⭐
Oct 20 SDBeachGyrl
Oct 21 1happygranny
Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: NEWS
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

ANOTHER BIG BEAR VALLEY SIREN TEST THURSDAY 9/26 AT 11AM

Author Post
Craig ⭐
Tue Sep 24 2019, 05:32PM Email Thread Print View

Total Eclipse 2017 Casper WY

:
BIG BEAR, CA/September 19, 2019– With less than stellar results from its first emergency warning siren test in August, Big Bear Fire Department will be conducting its next monthly test on Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 11:00 a.m. These sirens are one way to notify the public of emergency situations requiring action. The testing is important to build awareness as well as to ensure the system is effective and is in proper working order. The Department was able to identify areas of need during the first test including the areas where the sirens did not reach, as well as a siren that did not work properly at the Moonridge location.

Currently, the Department owns four sirens purchased through grant money for Valley-wide emergency notifications. Prior to the August test, these sirens had been out of commission for many years due to multiple radio frequency changes. The current siren locations and expected range are shown on Image No. 1. The Department is currently in the process of applying for new grants to fill in some of the gaps. Image No. 2 shows where the Department would like to place four additional sirens if grant money becomes available.

The 15-second test blasts will continue every month on the fourth Thursday at 11:00 a.m. During a true emergency, the full siren cycle will be run for three minutes. When the public hears the full siren cycle, they should tune in to local media or look to Big Bear Fire’s website: [Click Here] for details regarding the emergency incident. The public should not call 9-1-1, the Sheriff’s Office or fire stations.

Below: Map of Siren Locations, General Info (PDF). Click to open.

bbfd_siren_public_information_pdf.pdf

Winter can leave now... Lets try to get above 50 degrees???
Dave™
Thu Sep 26 2019, 11:05AM

It's been 50 years and counting...
Registered Member #30
:
Nada. Heard nothing in Fox Farm/Alpine Woods area.

"A sad day is seeing Big Bear in your rear view mirror" - @llen

" A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money" -attributed to Everett Dirksen

"If God wanted us to vote, He should have provided candidates." - The Kingston Trio
SCM ALERT🚨
Thu Sep 26 2019, 01:07PM

Automated Alert Robot

:
BIG BEAR SIREN TEST FOOTAGE
Footage from the Moonridge Siren in Big Bear Lake.
Video below taken from SCM Reporter Ben Brissey from the Moonridge fire station in Big Bear Lake.
The results from this location were far from stellar.
(the siren is very faint so turn up your volume)

==============
SCM Automated Alerts
---------------------------- ---------------------------------
Follow the Latest Incidents:
Twitter: @bigbearscanner
Facebook: Socalmountains.com
Airport Razz
Thu Sep 26 2019, 02:18PM
Registered Member #7434
:
, I'm old and in dire need of hearing aids and can't pretty much hear anything unless right in front of me and I'm looking at it but I would say that the siren test was another fail. I heard birds, no siren. Hmmmmmmmm. Any one have a cellphone, a siren app and a bullhorn?????
Jellylorum
Thu Sep 26 2019, 03:20PM

Registered Member #2069
:
Turn the sound up, if you dare.

This is one of my ringtones for when I am in a noisy environment. I had it go off in church once during the sermon. (I stopped by before heading to work in a kennel.)

escape_siren.mp3
Polar Orbit
Thu Sep 26 2019, 04:21PM
Registered Member #14051
:
At BB Blvd and Thrush I heard nothing. I was planning to listen, but forgot, and was working in the yard so should have heard something.

Don't blame me! I was left unsupervised!
Airport Razz
Thu Sep 26 2019, 04:38PM
Registered Member #7434
:
Apparently a few heard 'something' in Sugarloaf.

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, firephoto84, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top