Current Weather @ 2:05 PM Clear skies Temp 73.0º Humidity 13% Winds NNE 5.0mph Max Gust 14.0mph
Todays Extremes High 73.3º Low 29.1º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 93"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 02:00 PM v2.5
Run Spr to Highland  (330): 21 mins  
Highland to Run Spr  (330): 22 mins  
Big Bear to Run Spr    (18): 21 mins  
Run Spr to Big Bear    (18): 21 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): 67 mins  
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): 69 mins  
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 35 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 35 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 475, Members: 6 ...
Dave™
Tibia w6ajo
Sadie Girl
Whatcha Mcall
onur6boss
HazMatMind

most ever online: 2417
(Members: 45, Guests: 2372) on Jul 03 : 04:58pm

Members: 6832
Newest member: JessieOutdoors
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: GENERAL DISCUSSION
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Anyone here building their own cabin?

Go to page   <<        >>  
Author Post
Nature
Fri Aug 28 2020, 08:42PM

Registered Member #611
:
We’re building up here. Now yours would be considered a “dream” home. It’s like a beautiful fairy tale.
Ours is really nice with beautiful views but we won’t live in it permanently. It’s too big. My fantasy home would be deep in the forest. A comfortable home for us with lots of wildlife. We’ve had plenty of that but since the invasion of those who just come up to play, the animals have gone back into hiding. We’ll be glad when this chapter moves on to the next so Big Bear has a few peaceful days again. keep posting. It’s fascinating.
mountainart
Wed Sep 02 2020, 04:07PM

Registered Member #42113
:
Thanks! hope your build gets the C.O.O. soon! Be wonderful to be able to spend the holidays in a new cabin that you built yourself!

I started to work on the door area, the posts are 6x12 timbers, and there is a log fletch cut fitted onto the log ends on the left side. Door opening is 40" wide by 7' tall.

Am making the ironwork for the door now, will post pics when done
mountainart
Wed Sep 02 2020, 04:19PM

Registered Member #42113
:
pics of front doorway

Applenut
Wed Sep 02 2020, 09:42PM
Registered Member #96814
:
Can't wait to see the door in place (bet you can't wait too, to at least keep the bears out at night!)
Squatch
Thu Sep 03 2020, 09:23AM

Registered Member #13843
:
Very cool mountainart!
mountainart
Wed Sep 30 2020, 02:25PM

Registered Member #42113
:
Whew! Just finished the front door. It's pretty much done! Just a few latch bits to fine tune. Looks and feels and smells like a real centuries old castle door.

I started with a 3.25 inch thick solid slab cut from a 4 foot diameter sugar pine which grew locally. cut it to 7 feet high, 44 inches wide. Then left the opening edge as living edge and celebrated the natural curvature of the slab, as it cured, and cut/channelled the framework of the side and top sills in the log wall to fit the compound warp of the door itself. This adds to the vibe that the door was pulled off of some antique European Castle.

The metal latches and lock mechanisms all are true working mechanisms, which I designed and cut and assembled together, and will be opened by turning the hanging ring. The lock will operate with an actual custom fitted old skeleton/castle style key. I designed and laser cut all the metalwork, and hinges, and hammered and finished the top bronze looking deco bits. Everything on the door is truly real and functional just like an antique fortress door. The door pull handles are cut from local Ironwood root, and beautifully follow the flow of the deco work around the latch/lock plates.

There is a leaded antique glass Gatekeeper window I made which also opens on brass rod hinges. Overall the door weighs about 300 pounds, with the wood and metal, yet opens and closes with the push of a finger.

I chemically aged, and burned the wood, with mineral and chemical stains, it has a great weathered, and beaten up exterior surface, like it has endured centuries of wear and tear, and possibly an attack or two

Nice, really nice to be able to have the door on, was one of the first finished art piece milestones on the house construction.

MrOwl
Wed Sep 30 2020, 02:44PM

Registered Member #13568
:
What a cool door!

----------------------------
mountainart
Wed Sep 30 2020, 02:55PM

Registered Member #42113
:
simple quick sketch of home, with the bell towers and turrets. There will be a flat roof area surrounded by victorian gothic railing that we will be able to access from the belltower too, kind of like the flat rooftop the admiral shot cannon from in Mary Poppins movie.

Tman
Wed Sep 30 2020, 04:08PM
Registered Member #14463
:
That door is stunning!! Very nice work , it is such a pleasure to witness true craftsmanship!!

Thank you for sharing this!
ButlerPeakFire
Wed Sep 30 2020, 06:36PM

Lake Arrowhead
Registered Member #13200
:
Wow gorgeous

Go to page   <<        >>  

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top