Current Weather @ 08:29 AM Clear skies Temp 57.6º Humidity 44% Winds ESE 0.0mph Max Gust 2.3mph
Todays Extremes High 57.6º Low 40.6º Rain 0.00" Rain Rate 0.000" per hr Snow 0.00" Season 93"
LATEST ALERTS (whats this?)
None at this time
Welcome
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
ROADS AND TRAFFIC
Updated: 08:30 AM v2.5
Run Spr to Highland  (330): 20 mins  
Highland to Run Spr  (330): 22 mins  
Big Bear to Run Spr    (18): 20 mins  
Run Spr to Big Bear    (18): 21 mins  
Big Bear to Redlands  (38): CLOSED   
Redlands to Big Bear  (38): CLOSED   
Big Bear to Lucerne    (18): 33 mins  
Lucerne to Big Bear    (18): 35 mins  
=Light  =Moderate  =Heavy Traffic
Road Conditions Page: Click Here
Guests: 531, Members: 19 ...
BCMoonridge
CTFAWN
MtMan
DR B
MrOwl
SnowAngel
rebug
mimoo
NShore.Allen
redlite
mountainart
Glen
Frau
MtnTeach
SSJ2012
Lostinbigbear
Silvana
Metcalf Man

most ever online: 2417
(Members: 45, Guests: 2372) on Jul 03 : 04:58pm

Members: 6799
Newest member: tlcollins
SUPPORT SCM!
Support SCM by making a single or recurring donation.

Forums
Socalmountains.com :: Forums :: FIRE DISCUSSION
<< Previous thread | Next thread >>   

Panorama Fire - nearly 40 years

Author Post
springvalley
Thu Oct 31 2019, 04:13PM Email Thread Print View
Registered Member #14756
:
The discussion on the anniversary of the Old Fire - reminded me of the fire nearly 40 years ago now. The Panorama Fire of 1980. We had finished our house in RS and were working on building another over on Spring Oak. Then in November - a hellish wind started and once the fire started - it swept into the hillside neighborhoods - 310 home and 4 fatalities. I was wandering through youtube and found this footage of the Hemet Ryan base during the fire [Click Here]
Benny ⭐
Thu Oct 31 2019, 07:27PM

:
That is fantastic old video, thanks for posting it!!!

ON TWITTER! OR FOR LOCAL WEATHER [Click Here]
Website
springvalley
Fri Nov 01 2019, 07:56PM
Registered Member #14756
:
Thanks Benny - I was working at March Air Base and I remember the wind holding the smoke almost on the ground from Panorama. The Tower at the base said it was clear above the smoke - and they could not see the ground. There's a lot of frantic media armwaving about the winds the last few weeks - but, I can remember maybe 5 windstorms in my lifetime of the magnitude of the one that carried Panorama.
SCM ALERT🚨
Fri Nov 01 2019, 08:52PM

Automated Alert Robot

:
Great Video Spring!! Fascinating!

==============
SCM Automated Alerts
v3.0 2-2020 AI Provided by Amazon Web Services
-------------------------- -----------------------------------
Follow the Latest Real-time Information on SCM
Twitter: @bigbearscanner
Facebook: Socalmountains.com
YouTube (Link): [Click Here]
---------------------------------- -
SCM COMMUNITY OF SITES:
socalmountains.com
bigbearscanner. com
bensweather.com
palmspringscann er.com
deserttechservices.com
rimtr affic.com
springvalley
Sat Nov 02 2019, 09:41PM
Registered Member #14756
:
SCM - it was a motley selection of ww2 surplus - Converted old transports. etc. But it did the job as well as could be done. The kickers for me were the Fairchild's with that scabbed on jet engine. We had one about 1982 that dropped all over our house in Riverside near UCR. You could hear the engine delay as it spooled up about 5 seconds before the extra thrust was needed. It really looked like a solution cobbled up in a garage - - over beers. "well, Hell, let's jus strap on a jet engine someplace" (general laughter - then quiet) "Hey,,,,,, that might could just work!"
©ammy ⭐
Tue Nov 05 2019, 08:00PM

:
Thanks for sharing!
Interesting to see Tankers 71 & 72 in that video. They're not the same planes we still see today with those same numbers, are they? I think they're S2's?
springvalley
Wed Nov 06 2019, 09:49PM
Registered Member #14756
:
I doubt it - that was - ahem nearly 40 years ago. Metal fatigue - yikes. I think the ones we see today are the "TurboTracker" versions that were built by Marsh Avation about 15 years ago. They used gutted s2 tracker airframes and rebuilt them to the point they are no longer considered Gruman planes anymore. Both TT71 and TT72 are based out of SCal. The ones in the video have the old reciprocating engines - not turboprops. But, it is said that these new S2's are nearly immortal (as planes go)

However, I did some sleuthing - In the video, at least 2 of those planes still exist today. pby4-2 Privateer #127 is in the firefighting air museum in Greybull WY. (It has a VERY distinctive nose) Sadly, Privateer #123 and #130 both crashed in firefighting service and killed the crews - ending the pby4's career as a fire plane.

And, B-17 Firebomber #65 is now in a museum in England and has been cosmetically restored to it's WW2 configuration.
robk (K6RBK)
Fri Nov 08 2019, 01:50PM
Registered Member #2194
:
Neat to see those WW2 birds in action. Thanks for sharing.
Craig ⭐
Sat Nov 09 2019, 03:30PM

Total Eclipse 2017 Casper WY

:
Awesome Video!

-----------------------------------
Follow the Latest Real-time Information on SCM
Twitter: @bigbearscanner
Facebook: Socalmountains.com
YouTube (Link): [Click Here]
---------------------------------- -
SCM COMMUNITY OF SITES:
socalmountains.com
bigbearscanner. com
bensweather.com
socalfires.com
©ammy ⭐
Sat Nov 09 2019, 08:09PM

:
springvalley wrote ...

I doubt it - that was - ahem nearly 40 years ago. Metal fatigue - yikes. I think the ones we see today are the "TurboTracker" versions that were built by Marsh Avation about 15 years ago. They used gutted s2 tracker airframes and rebuilt them to the point they are no longer considered Gruman planes anymore. Both TT71 and TT72 are based out of SCal. The ones in the video have the old reciprocating engines - not turboprops. But, it is said that these new S2's are nearly immortal (as planes go)

However, I did some sleuthing - In the video, at least 2 of those planes still exist today. pby4-2 Privateer #127 is in the firefighting air museum in Greybull WY. (It has a VERY distinctive nose) Sadly, Privateer #123 and #130 both crashed in firefighting service and killed the crews - ending the pby4's career as a fire plane.

And, B-17 Firebomber #65 is now in a museum in England and has been cosmetically restored to it's WW2 configuration.

Thanks for all the details!

Moderators: Craig ⭐, ©ammy ⭐, Lumber Jill ⭐, Mtngoat John⭐, Deb Doodah⭐, SCM ALERT🚨, Benny ⭐, Socalmountains Admin, ⚡WX ALERT⚡

Jump:     Back to top